Link building is not something that you should do ad hoc.
If you want to truly see results when it comes to ranking higher for organic Google searches, you’re going to need a plan.
While organic link building on the merits of your content is the ultimate goal, having a focused link building strategy is what lays the groundwork for success.
Let’s take a high level approach and examine why each of the major strategies are important and discuss how we can ultimately work with you to execute the best for your specific website.
What is a link building strategy?
A link building strategy refers to the techniques put in place by marketers and SEO professionals to get other websites to link back to theirs.
Over time you will organically build links on the merits of your content, but to reach that point faster, strategy is paramount.
Some of the best link building strategies include:
- Creating link worthy content: The best way to receive backlinks is to create link worthy content. A good tactic is to create educational content in your niche that answers common questions that you know people are asking.
- Outreach: Put simply, outreach is developing relationships with other sites in your niche and putting your content in front of them. Whether you’ve created link worthy content or your business simply features an offer that nobody can refuse, outreach is essential to put yourself out there.
- Guest Blogging: This link building strategy involves writing an article for another related website. The idea is that they will publish the article along with the backlink to your website under your chosen keyword. They receive an expert piece of content, while you end up with a backlink.
- Content Syndication: The key to this link strategy is getting your content on popular, high traffic syndication lists. While these backlinks may not be as powerful on face value, the potential traffic can be priceless.
On the other hand, there are a number of black hat link building strategies that may seem like easy wins, but are frowned upon by Google.
Don’t allow yourself to fall into any of these traps.
Why are Link Building Strategies so Important?
Link building is widely viewed as one of the most important aspects of SEO.
When it comes to deciding organic search rankings, Google uses a combined metric of how many and what quality of sites link back to yours.
Naturally, you will appear higher in organic search if more high quality, trustworthy and authoritative sites link to you, utilizing keywords related to your niche.
So when it comes to link building, the quality of backlinks are much more important than purely volume and as such, having a strategy to acquire valuable links is key. Approaching link building in a systematic manner with a clear strategy is the only way you’re going to move the needle where it matters most.
How to execute a link building strategy?
While what we’re about to say here may sound cliche, it’s simply the cold hard truth.
When it comes to choosing and executing the right link building strategy, there is no one size fits all solution. Every business is different and each website is going to have different areas where they add value and thus are primed to drive links.
Finding the right strategies that will work best for you all comes down to the makeup of both your website and core business itself.
However, when it comes to using any of the popular link building strategies that we’ve listed above, we implore you to be both intelligent and strategic in their implementation.
Advanced execution tactics such as tiered link building can be key in getting targeted results in a realistic timeline. Tiered link building for example, creates backlinks for your backlinks and ensures that while you’re funneling the link juice where you want it, the links themselves are not coming across as unnatural.
Remember, no longer is it purely about the number of backlinks your site receives. In Google’s eyes, the ultimate deciding factor is that they are naturally acquired and from high quality sources.
Don’t forget this or whichever link building strategy you employ could ultimately end up doing your website more harm than good.
Final thoughts on the strategy behind link building
Not only does link building help your website from an SEO perspective, but it also helps drive traffic and build trust in your brand.
It’s somewhat condescending, but the correct answer to how to get people to link to your site is by creating link-worthy content.
We’ll wrap up by saying that link building strategies can only take you so far.
Ultimately, the core offer of your business is all that matters.
Get that right and you’ll have people clamoring over your offer and organically linking to your site from all corners of the web.
Link Building Plan For 6 Months
Link Building Strategy
If you’re looking to get the ball rolling by developing a tailored link building strategy for your website, then get in touch with our experienced team today.
- Define 5 of your top competitors with growing organic traffic;
- Using Ahrefs, export competitors referring domains, backlinks and anchors;
- Structure the data;
- Make a conclusion and build a plan.